Open Court Ethique
- Self Identification
- If you are a Malaysian citizen, you must bring your National Identity Card (MyKad) / birth certificate. If you are a foreign citizen, you are required to bring your International passport or related documents.
- Government Officers - Bring your authority cards and/or relevant documents.
- Company Owner - Present the Company's Registration Certificate and relevant documents.
- Company Representative - Present the authorization letter.
- Property Owner - Please provide grants and related documents
- Medical Certificate - If you cannot attend court for any reason, please inform the court promptly in writing. If you are sick, please forward your medical certificate to the court.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF WITNESSES IN COURT
A witness is someone who testifies in a cause or give evidence under oath in a court of law. A person who has been served with a subpoena must appear and testify in court. Failure to appear will cause a warrant of arrest to be issued. The purpose of a witness presence is to present evidence orally or in documented forms with regard to a fact so that the Court can make its decisions.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO BEFORE GOING THE COURT
- Make sure the date / time and place of the hearing (Please refer to the subpoena).
- If you are required to produce any documents please have them ready and bring along on the day of the trial.Plan your trip so that you could reach the court before 9.00 am.
- Dress decently and appropriately.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF WITNESSES WHEN TESTIFYING AND GIVING EVIDENCE IN COURT
- Use simple language in court. Inform the court if the assistance of an interpreter is required.
- Take oath in witnesses stand/box with a loud and clear as while lifted your right hand at shoulder. Produce your identity card / authority card / passport through the interpreter for Court reference and record.
- Listen carefully to the questions by Prosecutor / Attorney and answer only what is asked. If there is any question that is not clearly understood, seek clarification.
- Make sure that the answers / information given is honest and true. The witness is under oath to speak the truth.Bring the documents that will be produced to the court together to the witness stand/box. Get the consent of the Court if you wish to refer to the document.
- If the witness is unable to complete his evidence, the court will give another hearing date to enable the witness to complete his/her evidence.
- Be present in the courtroom before 9.00am or at any time fixed by the court.
- Rise and bow when the Judge/Magistrate enters and leaves the courtroom.
- Come forward when your name is called upon by the interpreter.
- Give your full attention during the proceedings.
- Be silent during the proceedings.
- Bow every time you enter and leave the courtroom during the proceedings.
- No children are allowed in the courtroom unless instructed to do so by the court.
- No weapons are allowed.
- No recordings either audio or visual are allowed.
- Mobile phones, pagers and other electronic devices are to be switched off.